Friday, March 13, 2020

Jesus washes the disciples' feet

Saint John - Chapter 13

Jesus washes the disciples' feet. J-J Tissot
[4] surgit a coena, et ponit vestimenta sua, et cum accepisset linteum, praecinxit se.
He riseth from supper, and layeth aside his garments, and having taken a towel, girded himself.

[5] Deinde mittit aquam in pelvim, et coepit lavare pedes discipulorum, et extergere linteo, quo erat praecinctus.
After that, he putteth water into a basin, and began to wash the feet of the disciples, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

[6] Venit ergo ad Simonem Petrum. Et dicit ei Petrus : Domine, tu mihi lavas pedes?
He cometh therefore to Simon Peter. And Peter saith to him: Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

[7] Respondit Jesus, et dixit ei : Quod ego facio, tu nescis modo : scies autem postea.
Jesus answered, and said to him: What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

[8] Peter saith to him: Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him: If I wash thee not, thou shalt have no part with me.
Dicit ei Petrus : Non lavabis mihi pedes in aeternum. Respondit ei Jesus : Si non lavero te, non habebis partem mecum.

[9] Dicit ei Simon Petrus : Domine, non tantum pedes meos, sed et manus, et caput.
Simon Peter saith to him: Lord, not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.

[10] Dicit ei Jesus : Qui lotus est, non indiget nisi ut pedes lavet, sed est mundus totus. Et vos mundi estis, sed non omnes.
Jesus saith to him: He that is washed, needeth not but to wash his feet, but is clean wholly. And you are clean, but not all.

[11] Sciebat enim quisnam esset qui traderet eum; propterea dixit : Non estis mundi omnes.
For he knew who he was that would betray him; therefore he said: You are not all clean.

[12] Postquam ergo lavit pedes eorum, et accepit vestimenta sua : cum recubuisset iterum, dixit eis : Scitis quid fecerim vobis?
Then after he had washed their feet, and taken his garments, being set down again, he said to them: Know you what I have done to you?

[13] Vos vocatis me Magister et Domine, et bene dicitis : sum etenim.
You call me Master, and Lord; and you say well, for so I am.

[14] Si ergo ego lavi pedes vestros, Dominus et Magister, et vos debetis alter alterutrum lavare pedes.
If then I being your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; you also ought to wash one another's feet.

[15] Exemplum enim dedi vobis, ut quemadmodum ego feci vobis, ita et vos faciatis.
For I have given you an example, that as I have done to you, so you do also.

[16] Amen, amen dico vobis : non est servus major domino suo : neque apostolus major est eo qui misit illum.
Amen, amen I say to you: The servant is not greater than his lord; neither is the apostle greater than he that sent him.

[17] Si haec scitis, beati eritis si feceritis ea.
If you know these things, you shall be blessed if you do them.

Totus tuus ego sum 
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam 


No comments:

Post a Comment