Sunday, February 16, 2020

You are of your father the devil

Saint John - Chapter 8


They took up stones therefore to cast at him.. J-J Tissot
[42] Dixit ergo eis Jesus : Si Deus pater vester esset, diligeretis utique et me; ego enim ex Deo processi, et veni : neque enim a meipso veni, sed ille me misit.
Jesus therefore said to them: If God were your Father, you would indeed love me. For from God I proceeded, and came; for I came not of myself, but he sent me:

[43] Quare loquelam meam non cognoscitis? Quia non potestis audire sermonem meum.
Why do you not know my speech? Because you cannot hear my word.

[44] Vos ex patre diabolo estis : et desideria patris vestri vultis facere. Ille homicida erat ab initio, et in veritate non stetit : quia non est veritas in eo : cum loquitur mendacium, ex propriis loquitur, quia mendax est, et pater ejus.
You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and he stood not in the truth; because truth is not in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.

[45] Ego autem si veritatem dico, non creditis mihi.
But if I say the truth, you believe me not.

[46] Quis ex vobis arguet me de peccato? Si veritatem dico vobis, quare non creditis mihi?
Which of you shall convict me of sin? If I say the truth to you, why do you not believe me?

[47] Qui ex Deo est, verba Dei audit. Propterea vos non auditis, quia ex Deo non estis.
He that is of God, heareth the words of God. Therefore you hear them not, because you are not of God.

[48] Responderunt ergo Judaei, et dixerunt ei : Nonne bene dicimus nos quia Samaritanus es tu, et daemonium habes?
The Jews therefore answered, and said to him: Do not we say well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?

[49] Respondit Jesus : Ego daemonium non habeo : sed honorifico Patrem meum, et vos inhonorastis me.
Jesus answered: I have not a devil: but I honour my Father, and you have dishonoured me.

[50] Ego autem non quaero gloriam meam : est qui quaerat, et judicet.
But I seek not my own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.

[51] Amen, amen dico vobis : si quis sermonem meum servaverit, mortem non videbit in aeternum.
Amen, amen I say to you: If any man keep my word, he shall not see death for ever.

[52] Dixerunt ergo Judaei : Nunc cognovimus quia daemonium habes. Abraham mortuus est, et prophetae; et tu dicis : Si quis sermonem meum servaverit, non gustabit mortem in aeternum.
The Jews therefore said: Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest: If any man keep my word, he shall not taste death for ever.

[53] Numquid tu major es patre nostro Abraham, qui mortuus est? et prophetae mortui sunt. Quem teipsum facis?
Art thou greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? and the prophets are dead. Whom dost thou make thyself?

[54] Respondit Jesus : Si ego glorifico meipsum, gloria mea nihil est : est Pater meus, qui glorificat me, quem vos dicitis quia Deus vester est,
Jesus answered: If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father that glorifieth me, of whom you say that he is your God.

[55] et non cognovistis eum : ego autem novi eum. Et si dixero quia non scio eum, ero similis vobis, mendax. Sed scio eum, et sermonem ejus servo.
And you have not known him, but I know him. And if I shall say that I know him not, I shall be like to you, a liar. But I do know him, and do keep his word.

[56] Abraham pater vester exsultavit ut videret diem meum : vidit, et gavisus est.
Abraham your father rejoiced that he might see my day: he saw it, and was glad.

[57] Dixerunt ergo Judaei ad eum : Quinquaginta annos nondum habes, et Abraham vidisti?
The Jews therefore said to him: Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

[58] Dixit eis Jesus : Amen, amen dico vobis, antequam Abraham fieret, ego sum.
Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I am.

[59] Tulerunt ergo lapides, ut jacerent in eum : Jesus autem abscondit se, et exivit de templo.
They took up stones therefore to cast at him. But Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple.

Totus tuus ego sum 
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam 

No comments:

Post a Comment