Saturday, June 15, 2024

A light into the world. St John Chapter xii. 44-50

St John Chapter xii : Verses 44-50


Contents

  • St John Chapter xii : Verses 44-50 Douay-Rheims (Challoner) text, Greek (SBLG) & Latin text (Vulgate); 
  • Annotations based on the Great Commentary of Cornelius A Lapide (1567-1637)

St John Chapter xii : Verses 44-50


I am come a light into the world. Holman Hunt.
1900-04. St Paul's Cathedral.
44
 But Jesus cried, and said: He that believeth in me, doth not believe in me, but in him that sent me.  
45 And he that seeth me, seeth him that sent me.
46 I am come a light into the world; that whosoever believeth in me, may not remain in darkness.  
47 And if any man hear my words, and keep them not, I do not judge him: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.  
48 He that despiseth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him; the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.  
49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father who sent me, he gave me commandment what I should say, and what I should speak.  
50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting. The things therefore that I speak, even as the Father said unto me, so do I speak.






44 Ἰησοῦς δὲ ἔκραξεν καὶ εἶπεν· Ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ οὐ πιστεύει εἰς ἐμὲ ἀλλὰ εἰς τὸν πέμψαντά με,
44 Jesus autem clamavit, et dixit : Qui credit in me, non credit in me, sed in eum qui misit me.
45 καὶ ὁ θεωρῶν ἐμὲ θεωρεῖ τὸν πέμψαντά με.
45 Et qui videt me, videt eum qui misit me.
46 ἐγὼ φῶς εἰς τὸν κόσμον ἐλήλυθα, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ μὴ μείνῃ.
46 Ego lux in mundum veni, ut omnis qui credit in me, in tenebris non maneat.  
47 καὶ ἐάν τίς μου ἀκούσῃ τῶν ῥημάτων καὶ μὴ ⸀φυλάξῃ, ἐγὼ οὐ κρίνω αὐτόν, οὐ γὰρ ἦλθον ἵνα κρίνω τὸν κόσμον ἀλλ’ ἵνα σώσω τὸν κόσμον.
47 Et si quis audierit verba mea, et non custodierit, ego non judico eum; non enim veni ut judicem mundum, sed ut salvificem mundum.  
48 ὁ ἀθετῶν ἐμὲ καὶ μὴ λαμβάνων τὰ ῥήματά μου ἔχει τὸν κρίνοντα αὐτόν· ὁ λόγος ὃν ἐλάλησα ἐκεῖνος κρινεῖ αὐτὸν ἐν τῇ ἐσχάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ·
48 Qui spernit me et non accipit verba mea, habet qui judicet eum. Sermo quem locutus sum, ille judicabit eum in novissimo die.  
49 ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐξ ἐμαυτοῦ οὐκ ἐλάλησα, ἀλλ’ ὁ πέμψας με πατὴρ αὐτός μοι ἐντολὴν ⸀δέδωκεν τί εἴπω καὶ τί λαλήσω.
49 Quia ego ex meipso non sum locutus, sed qui misit me, Pater, ipse mihi mandatum dedit quid dicam et quid loquar.  
50 καὶ οἶδα ὅτι ἡ ἐντολὴ αὐτοῦ ζωὴ αἰώνιός ἐστιν. ἃ οὖν ⸂ἐγὼ λαλῶ⸃, καθὼς εἴρηκέν μοι ὁ πατήρ, οὕτως λαλῶ.
50 Et scio quia mandatum ejus vita aeterna est : quae ergo ego loquor, sicut dixit mihi Pater, sic loquor.


Annotations


    44. But Jesus cried, and said: He that believeth in me, doth not believe in me,(“only” as adds the Arabic version) but in him that sent me. It is uncertain whether Jesus said these words at the same time as those which precede, them (ver. 35), as Maldonatus thinks, i.e. before he hid Himself and withdrew (as I said, ver. 36), being there mentioned by anticipation, when in the regular order it should be placed at the end of the chapter; or at another time, as Theophylact supposes. It is in fact a question to be solved. For Christ in these last three days of His life, came back in the morning to the Temple. But when He saw that some believed not, and that others believed but did not dare to profess their faith, for shame, and for fear of the Pharisees, He cried with a loud voice, to drive away this shame and fear: 👉“He that believeth in Me” believeth not in a mere poor and wretched man, but in a man who is also God, and he therefore “believes in God who sent Me,” in God the Father with Whom I am consubstantial. 👉Be not ashamed of my poverty and humility, for though I am outwardly poor and humble, yet in my inward nature I am rich and highly exalted. For I am God of God. And therefore he that believeth in Me believeth in God. But what is more noble and glorious than to believe in God? What can he fear or be ashamed of who believes in God? S. Cyril adds, “Jesus cried out, to signify that He did not wish to be worshipped in a cowardly and stealthy way, but that He wished us boldly and clearly to profess and proclaim the faith.” “Again He cried out,” says Rupertus, “because He had but little time left Him to preach in. He then who wishes to hear Me, to believe and be saved, should do so at once, for after three days no one will be able to hear Me.” And so S. Chrysostom says, 👉“Why do ye fear to believe in Me? Faith in God comes through Me. Just as he who drinks the water of the river, drinks he not of the source?” And S. Augustine, “Because the manhood only appeared to men, and the Godhead was latent, lest they should think Him to be only that which they saw (a man), and He wished Himself to be believed in (as God) the same and as great as the Father; He saith, ‘He that believeth in Me, believeth not in Me,’ that is, in that which He seeth, ‘but in Him who sent Me, that is, in the Father.’ ”
    It is, however, quite plain that the Son is God, consubstantial with God the Father. The Arians denied this, and objected: He who believeth in the Apostles who were sent by God, believeth in God, and yet does not believe that the Apostles are gods. I reply by denying the conclusion. We believe the Apostles, but not in the Apostles. But Christ here says, “He who believeth in Me, believeth in Him who sent Me.” But no one believes in any one, excepting in Him who is God. If, then, we believe in Christ, we believe that He is God: and since there is but one God, we believe that He is numerically the same God with God the Father. And therefore He says, “He that believeth in Me, believeth in Him that sent Me;” He who believes in Me as God the Son, believes also in God My Father, for we have both one nature and one majesty. So SS. Augustine, Cyril, Theophylact, Euthymius, and others. Whence Christ adds, to make it clearer still,—
    45. And he that seeth me, seeth him that sent me. Because the nature of us both is one only. And just as through My manhood he sees the Godhead which is latent therein, so does he also see the Godhead of My Father, since it is one and the same. And so S. Augustine says, “He shows that there is no difference whatever between Himself and the Father, insomuch that He who seeth Him seeth the Father.”
    Hear S. Cyril in the Council of Ephesus (speaking in our Lord’s name): 
“Oh, my faithful hearers, do not think meanly and humbly of Me. But rather be most fully persuaded of this respecting Me, that if ye believe in Me, ye will believe in Him who is not merely one among many, but in the Father Himself through Me His Son, and that though I became man for your sakes, yet am I in every respect equal to the Father, and in no respect whatever severed or separated from Him, inasmuch as I am endowed with the same nature, power, and glory with Him.”
    46. I am come a light into the world; that whosoever believeth in me, may not remain in darkness. Christ calls Himself again and again the Light of the world, which sets forth the true faith in God, His worship, devotion towards Him, virtue, and all things which tend to our salvation, and also dispels the darkness of unbelief, idolatry, and all errors and vices, so that what the sun is in the material world, is He in the spiritual. “The word light,” says S. Cyril, “indicates Godhead, for it is the property of God to be the Light of the world. For God in His Essence is spiritual, uncreate, boundless Light, from which every created light, whether spiritual or material, whether of angels or men, whether of the sun or stars or of the elements, is derived as a ray from the Sun.” But it is the peculiar property of the Son that He proceeds from God the Father after the manner of a ray, and of light, according to the Nicene Creed: “Light of Light, Very God of Very God.” For He proceedeth from the Father by understanding and knowledge, as the verbal expression of the mind, which, like the brightest mirror, represents all things. As the Book of Wisdom says (vii. 26), “For she is the brightness of eternal light, and the unspotted mirror of God's majesty, and the image of his goodness. ” And Heb. i. 3, “Who being the brightness of his glory, and the figure of his substance,” And Ecclus. xxiv. 6 (Vulg.), “I made the never-failing Light to arise in the heavens.” These things are spoken of Christ as God. But as man He was sent by God the Father into the world, to enlighten it as the sun in the heavens, when overwhelmed with the darkness of ignorance, unbelief, and sin. See S. John, i. 6, 7.
    Symbolically, S. Gregory (Moral. xxv. 4) says that eternal Light, which is God, the more changelessly it shines the more piercingly does it see. Even things which are hid it knows well, for it penetrates through all things, and keeps them in memory, because it changelessly abides. And consequently, whenever we conceive in our minds an unworthy thought, we sin in the light. Because It is present to us, even when we are not present to It. And when we walk in crooked ways we stumble against that, from which we are in our deserts far away. But when we believe that we are not seen, we keep our eyes closed in the sunlight. That is, we hide Him from ourselves, but not ourselves from Him.
    The same S. Gregory (Epist. vii. 32, ad Dom.) says, “The warmth of the shepherd is the light of the flock. For the priest of the Lord should shine forth in his conduct and life, in order that the people committed to his charge may be able in the mirror of his life to choose what to follow, and see what to correct.”
    47. And if any man hear my words, and keep them not, I do not judge him:  That is, does not retain them in his mind, “believes them not,” as in the Greek, though the Vulgate, agreeing with the Syriac and Arabic, reads “Keep them not;” as Christ explains in the next verse. By the words “I judge him not,” Christ means, I came not into the world to judge it but to save it. But a man who believes not on Me, is at once condemned and judged by his own wickedness and unbelief, and also by the eternal decree of the Father. This is plain from what follows. So S. Cyril, Theophylact, Leontius, and others. See notes on chap. iii. 18. This decree of the Father I will execute at the day of judgment, when I shall return to judge the world, as I have now come to redeem it. S. Chrysostom says, “I judge not,” that is, I am not the cause of his ruin, but he is himself its cause in despising My words.
for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. That is, the inhabitants of the world. “Now,” says S. Augustine, “is the time of mercy, hereafter the time of judgment.”
    48. He that despiseth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him; He that believeth not My words will have God as his Judge, who will judge him by Me at the judgment day. For, as S. Augustine says (de Trinit. i. 28), Christ will not judge by His human power, but by the power of the Word of God.
    the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.  S. Augustine (in loc.) understands by the “Word” Christ Himself, for He will be the Judge. “He has sufficiently set forth that He will be the Judge at the last day, for He spake of Himself. He announced Himself, He placed Himself as the Door by which He as Shepherd came in to the sheep.” Others more clearly, and with greater force, say, My word heard and not believed in by the Jews will accuse them at the day of judgment, and with mute voice will proclaim them worthy of hell. “That word,” says Rupertus, “which they heard, which they could not but know to be true, as approved by the wondrous testimony of His miracles, that word will judge, will reprove, will convict. But where will that Judge be seated? What sentences of judgment will He give from His throne? He will be close at hand. He will hold His court within. He will proclaim full terribly in the conscience of each one His just sentence. There is a prosopopœia. The word of Christ is here introduced as a person, and as a witness against unbelievers before Christ as Judge in the day of judgment.
    49. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father who sent me, he gave me commandment what I should say, and what I should speak. This gives the reason why the word of Christ would condemn the Jews, because He spake at the command of the Father, and therefore he who believed not in Him believed not in God. He who despised Him despised God, and would therefore experience Him as his Judge. So the Syriac version. Rupertus somewhat differently says, “The word which I spake has the force of a judgment, for I speak not of Myself.” SS. Augustine, Ambrose, and Bede think that Christ is here speaking of Himself as God. I, as God, speak not from Myself, but from the Father who gave Me My Divine Nature, and with It omniscience, and My full power of saying and speaking. Hear S. Augustine, “In the Wisdom of the Father, which is the Word, are all the commands of the Father. But the command is said to be given, since He to whom it is given, is not of Himself. But to give to the Son is the same as begetting the Son.” “All these things were said,” says S. Chrysostom, “for their sakes that they might have no excuse.” And the Gloss, “The Father gave the command to the Son, by begetting Him, as His Very Word and Wisdom, as He gave Him life by begetting Him who is life.”
    More simply S. Cyril and Chrysostom think that Christ is here speaking of Himself as man. For thus did He properly receive a command from the Father to say or speak this or that, and nothing else. Christ speaks of Himself in an humble manner, in order to move the haughty Jews, who believed Him not to be God. As if He said, “Granting that I am a mere man, as ye think, yet ye ought to believe Me, for I speak nothing of Myself, but all things which I speak I have heard of the Father.” Hence theologians infer (though some deny it) that Christ received a command from God for saying everything He said, and for doing everything He did. For if the Father commanded Him in these lesser matters, He did so in greater matters, as the working of miracles and mighty deeds. What Rupertus says is an adaptation to circumstances. “I have received a commandment from the Father what to say now forbearingly to those who gainsay Me, and what I shall pronounce terribly in the last judgment, when no one will dare to gainsay Me.”
    what I should say, and what I should speak. Between saying and speaking there is this difference. To say (dicere) is solemnly to assert anything, to teach, to preach. To speak (loqui) is to say anything in a more familiar manner, colloquially. (See Varro, de Lingua Latina, lib. v., Cicero, de Oratore, and Quintilian, lib. x. chap. 7.)
    50. And I know that His commandment is life everlasting. The way which leads to eternal life. “If thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments.” It is also formally eternal life because the commandment of God is that eternal Law which lives in the eternal reason of things, in the living mind of God. But Christ is not speaking of this. And therefore He asserts that the command is eternal life, causally, because it causes, merits, and brings about eternal life. Christ says this, says S. Chrysostom, “to induce the Jews to believe Him in those things which He spake by the command of the Father, to induce them by the hope of the highest reward, and consequently by the fear of the heaviest punishment if they do not believe in Him. He tacitly threatens them with this by way of antithesis. And to keep them from doubting this He boldly asserts it. I maintain, says Christ, and assert of My own sure knowledge, that the command of God is the cause of eternal life. I have heard it from God Himself, and I therefore know fully and surely that it has been decreed by Him as an inviolable law. In like manner Christ says, “This is life eternal” (that is, the way to life eternal), “to know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent” (John xvii. 3).
    Christ alludes to Ecclus. i. 5, “The word of God on high is the fountain of wisdom, and her ways are everlasting commandments.;” and to Baruch iii. 9. “If then,” says S. Augustine (Serm. clxxxvi. (nunc cclxvii.) De Temp.), “ye wish to have the Holy Spirit, hold fast to charity, love the truth, long for unity, and ye will attain to eternity.”
    Christ therefore summed up all His teaching to the people in this saying, “His commandment is eternal life,” in order, when he was now going to death, to impress on the Jews and on all who should come after the perpetual memory of eternity, and a longing for life everlasting; to stimulate them to follow His faith and examples. For nothing so stimulates the mind for good, as a serious and frequent meditation on eternity. As the Psalmist says (Ps. cxviii. 96), “I have seen an end to all persecution: thy commandment is exceeding broad.” This means, all sublunary things have an end, but the commandment of God has no end. It endures for ever, and leads those who keep it to a blessed eternity, but those who despise it to eternal punishments. Sufferings are momentary, but delights are eternal. But momentary are our delights, our sufferings eternal.
    Symbolically, S. Augustine says, “If the Son Himself is eternal life, and the commandment of God is eternal life, what else is meant, but that I am the commandment of the Father?”
    Whatsoever I speak therefore (“in announcing Myself to be the Word,” says the Interlinear Gloss), even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak. That is, “As He who is True begat Me who am Truth, so I the Truth proclaim Myself as Truth.” And S. Augustine, “Just as the Father spake as being True, so does the Son speak as being the Truth; the True begat the Truth.”

+       +        +
 
The Vladimirskaya Icon. >12th century.
S
UB
 tuum præsidium confugimus, Sancta Dei Genitrix. Nostras deprecationes ne despicias in necessitatibus, sed a periculis cunctis libera nos semper, Virgo gloriosa et benedicta. Amen.

 

 
 


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment